Pješčana Uvala (Sandy Cove) is a tourist and residential development at the western edge of the Medulin Municipality. It grew along a concealed sandy beach.
Church of St. Nicholas
As this community developed, the need for a church emerged. The Church of St. Nicholas, patron of sailors and travellers, was dedicated at a prominent point above the settlement in 2001. This modern building is shaped like a ship.
Soline Forest Park extends beyond the seaside promenade toward Kanalić Bay. It is characterized by great biological value and is one of the rare remaining holly oak forests on the Croatian coast. This is in fact why it was placed under protection as a forest park. Since 1996, Soline Hill has been protected in compliance with Croatia’s Nature Protection Act.
Vinkuran is a community above the sheltered Soline Cove. From Antiquity to the present, it has been renowned for the Cavae Romanae quarry, where high-quality Istrian limestone is extracted. Due to its structure of Lower Cenomanian limestone layered at heights exceeding 40 meters, individual parts of the quarry were used to extract construction stone, while other parts were used to craft sculptures. Based on its structure, it is classified into two basic groups: Vinkuran unito (statuario) and Vinkuran fiorito, with a seashell texture. The stone for the Pula Arena was extracted here.
Vinkuran, under the name Vencoral, was first mentioned in the Pula Statute of 1424. The restless times, full of struggles, wars, disease and penury, impoverished the community.
A school was constructed in 1904, while in 1906 the First Croatian Reading Room was established. Today Vinkuran with its Cavae Romanae quarry is the centre of a sculpture colony.
Vintijan is a community on a hill above Veruda Bay. On the slopes of that hill, one can even today still see the occasional remains of a quarry that had the same composition as nearby Cavae Romanae.
Due to the strategic importance of the Vintijan rise with its open view of the sheltered bay, a hillfort settlement appeared here in prehistory. The settlement on the plateau was safe, it allowed for supervision of traffic in the bay, and the proximity of the sea ensured a steady supply of seafood to feed its residents. In the middle Bronze Age, the Vintijan hillfort’s residents buried their dead in individual graves without mounds, both inside and outside the hillfort.
Today Vintijan is an ideal place for a pleasant vacation.
An unfinished sculpture of a Roman woman was found in the debris of the Roman-era quarry at Vintijan
The community of Valbonaša is situated in the bountiful hinterland of Vinkuran and Vintijan, along the road to Banjole and Premantura. The basic economic activity in this area has always been farming, particularly crop growing thanks to the fertile soil that surrounds it.
A hillfort was situated on the heights here in prehistoric times. More recently, from the 14th to 18th centuries, records note the Convent of St. Mary at this site, which paid a tithe to the bishops of Pula.